MELBOURNE, (Reuters) – Australia have added D’Arcy Short to their one-day squad for next month’s tour of India after seam bowler Sean Abbott was ruled out of the trip with a side strain, Cricket Australia (CA) said yesterday. Abbott suffered the injury playing for Sydney Sixers in Friday’s Big Bash League match against Sydney Thunder and will be sidelined for up to four weeks.“It is extremely unfortunate for Sean, who is very much a part of our white ball squad plans leading into the ICC T20 World Cup and the World Cup,” national selector Trevor Hohns said in a statement.“D’Arcy offers the squad another spinning all-rounder option along with Ashton Agar, which along with the four world class fast bowlers and Adam Zampa balances the squad out nicely. “His proven record and ability to bat anywhere in the order will also be a great asset to the squad.”Australia will play three one-day internationals in India, beginning with Mumbai on Jan. 14 before matches in Rajkot (Jan. 17) and Bengaluru (Jan. 19).
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, CMC – Fast bowling icon Michael Holding believes only the sheer genius of Sir Vivian Richards prevented Gordon Greenidge from becoming the quintessential batsman of his generation. Greenidge was recently honoured with a knighthood in the Queen’s New Year list for his “services to cricket and the development of sport” and Holding, who played alongside the legendary opener, said there was never any doubt about the Barbadian’s immense status.“Gordon was a great player,” Holding said in tribute to Greenidge during an interview on the popular cricket radio show, Mason and Guest.“He had one bad tour that I can remember and that was the first time he went to Australia in 1975-76 when he wasn’t the only one, but since then he just blossomed and became a great player. “If it hadn’t been for Sir Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards, everyone would’ve been talking about Gordon Greenidge.”Greenidge, considered one of the finest technicians of the game, gathered 7558 runs at an average of 44 with 19 centuries. He struck a century in either inning of the 1976 Old Trafford Test, lashed two double hundreds on the 1984 tour of England, and was a member of the West Indies side which won the first two World Cups in 1975 and 1979. Sir Viv, widely considered the most dominant batsmen of his era, amassed 8540 runs with 24 hundreds at an average of 50.His career-best 291 at the Oval in 1976 was one of two double hundreds on a tour when he thrice reached triple figures in a record aggregate of 829 runs. An imperious 138 in the 1979 World Cup final at Lord’s handed West Indies an historic second straight title.Holding said of all the great innings by Greenidge, the one performance which had remained with him was the 226 at Kensington Oval in Barbados in 1991, when on the cusp of his 40th birthday, he carved out a defiant double hundred against Australia. “I can remember one [inning] when he really applied himself greatly in Barbados when people were saying he had gone past his prime and he made a [double century] in that Test match,” Holding recalled.“Gordon has played so many great innings and of course with his opening partner Dessie Haynes, they built so many foundations for West Indies in the past.”Holding, now a well-respected international television broadcaster, also praised legendary former captain Clive Lloyd who also received a knighthood for his “services to cricket”. “He was captain for almost all of my Test matches. I played perhaps one or two series after Lloydy retired so he was my captain for most of my career, and I looked upon him pretty much as a father figure and I think most people thought of him as my cricketing father,” Holding pointed out.“I remember once when I was still a youngster, he called my house in Jamaica … and my father answered the phone and shouted to me ‘Mikey, your father’s on the line’.”The Jamaican added: “Clive Lloyd was a great leader. When you look at the team that Clive Lloyd had, everybody would say ‘oh, he had so much talent’. He’s not the only one that has had talented cricketers under him but he knew exactly how to get the best out of his players. “He was a father figure to most of the players, people looked up to him, he respected the players, the players respected him and so that’s why we had so much of a great team.”
Dubbed the President’s 50th Anniversary Shield, an Open Rapid Chess tournament is billed for February 22 at State House as part of the country’s Golden Republic celebrations. The eight-round tournament, being coordinated by the newly-formed Guyana Chess Academy, is being supported by President David Granger, a former head of the Guyana Chess Federation, a release from the Guyana Chess Academy stated. The one-day, FIDE-rated competition will have a time control of 15 minutes, plus five seconds. Game time is 13:30h, and registration starts an hour before. The tournament will be contested in several categories and all the top performers will be rewarded with cash incentives. The top five finishers in the Open, Female, Junior Open and Junior Female divisions will receive prizes, while the Best Under-12 player will be rewarded. One of the coordinators, Irshad Mohamed, said already some of the country’s leading players have confirmed their participation and he is anticipating a keenly contested afternoon of Chess.“We have some players from Suriname coming as well, so that will add a bit of flair and excitement, and no doubt the local players will want to ensure they bring their A game,” Mohamed related.Mohamed, also a former Guyana Chess Federation president added that the Guyana Chess Academy is grateful to His Excellency for including Chess as part of the Golden Jubilee Celebrations. Persons interested in participating in the Rapid can contact James Bond on 600-0007, Anthony Drayton on 613-2083, John Lee 623 0986 or Irshad Mohamed on 664-1650.
Four more track and field athletes potentially booked their tickets to compete at the 49th edition of the CARIFTA Games in Bermuda Easter weekend following the second trials on Saturday at the National Track and Field Centre. Attoya Harvey (1500m Girls U-17), Sheama Tyrell (3000m Female open), Seon Booker (1500m Boys U-17) and Anisha Gibbons (Javelin Girls U-17) were the athletes who equaled or bettered the Athletic Association of Guyana (AAG) qualifying standards in their respective events.
(Reuters) – Playing on a single site away from fans in a quarantine setting, teams in the National Basketball Association (NBA) face plenty of unknowns as the league restarts its season this week. At least one thing, however, is not in doubt – the Milwaukee Bucks own the Eastern Conference.One of the league’s top scorers and rebounders, forward Giannis Antetokounmpo has waged an MVP campaign with only one clear rival – Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James – headlining a Bucks roster that entered the COVID-19 hiatus with a 53-12 record, atop the conference standings.The 25-year-old took a hard fall during a March matchup against the Lakers, but what was feared to be a major knee injury proved only a minor joint-capsule strain. “I believe in my technique. I worked extremely hard these four months we didn’t play and I just want to get back in shape and I think I’m fine,” Antetokounmpo told reporters inside the Walt Disney World “bubble.”Still, the Bucks’ path is not without challenges.“Even though the Bucks, with the number one overall seed in the NBA — if people are going to question whether they can win at all, it ain’t about Giannis’ greatness, it’s about who is second and who is third,” Jalen Rose, an ESPN analyst and former player, told reporters. “I see them potentially being vulnerable in the East to a couple of teams.” The reigning champion Toronto Raptors had the second-best record in the Eastern Conference as the NBA went on hiatus, despite losing Kawhi Leonard to the Los Angeles Clippers in the offseason, fending off speculation that the franchise would implode without the star forward.The Boston Celtics, 43-21 in pre-COVID play, have enjoyed the spoils of 22-year-old forward Jayson Tatum’s breakout year but will need guard Kemba Walker, who has struggled with knee issues.With guard Eric Bledsoe rejoining the Bucks last week after being cleared from a prior coronavirus positive, Milwaukee’s horizon looks even brighter. “Eric looked great,” said Bucks coach Mike Budenholzer. “In all honesty considering, you know, it’s been a while since he’s been able to touch the ball or do anything, he was very good.”Of course, with a grueling turnaround from quarantine and a tight playing schedule, success inside NBA’s bubble could come down to which team stays on its feet.
Following the conclusion of the extended Guyana Football Federation (GFF) 2020/2021 Pre-Season Transfer Window, emerging force, the Guyana Police Force (GPF), has confirmed the acquisition and services of nine players for the Elite League and B-Team programmes. This was disclosed by Calvin Allen, a member of the coaching staff yesterday during a brief interview with Stabroek Sport. The lawmen secured seven players from two-time defending champion Fruta Conquerors, with one player emanating from Guyana Defence Force (GDF) and Uitvlugt respectively.
Share MoneyMatrix boosts wire transfer options by integrating Klarna’s Sofort August 24, 2020 Martin Lycka – Regulatory high temperatures cancel industry’s ‘silly season’ August 11, 2020 Share Mateusz Juroszek – Non-stop STS will expand amid industry disruptions August 12, 2020 Zeno OsskóFrankfurt Xetra listed bookmaker mybet Holdings SE ends a difficult 2015 posting full-year EBIT losses of – €8.8 million (FY 2014: €500,000).Throughout 2015, the German focused bookmaker had been impacted by a downturn in player activity, with its online sports betting division witnessing a wagering decline from €100 million (2014) to €95 million (2015).Presenting 2015 results, mybet would report a 1.5% dip in its group net revenues to €69.2 million (2014: €70.4 million).In Q3 2015, mybet governance had issued a ‘profit warning’ to investors declaring that the company would likely record + € million losses for its full year corporate performance.Responding to declines, mybet governance stated that 2015 had been a period of key operational change for bookmaker, noting that the company had moved to implement its “product and customer first strategy” which had seen the company integrate its new IT platform.The operator will now move to re-develop its online casino and sports betting verticals, focusing on reactivating its customer base.Aided by its new ‘cost-saving’ platform and strategy, mybet governance issued a year guidance targeting revenue growth at 8-12%, with the company posting positive EBIT for 2016.Zeno Osskó, mybet SE CEO commented on 2015 performance“mybet was confronted with an array of challenges in the past financial year,”“With the help of the new, higher-performance IT platform, the aim is now to market [sports betting and casino] more efficiently and thus to secure further rises in the betting stakes placed by both existing and new customers in the future,”“Satisfied customers are our top priority, and in conjunction with a high-performance IT platform are the basis for sustained growth in revenue and profit over the coming years,”“We now enable our customers to use all mybet sales channels using one central betting account. For a further boost to customer loyalty, we have also specifically transferred measures from the online sector to retail business.” Related Articles StumbleUpon Submit
Romania’s ONJN adds 20 sites to blacklist August 14, 2020 Greek licensed online betting operator Stoiximan furthers its Eastern European market presence by launching the services of its Betano (Betano.com) sportsbook for the Romanian market.Launching its Betano brand, Stoiximan governance stated that it saw great potential for its product in the recently regulated Romanian online betting market, with the bookmaker committed to adhering to new policies and regulations regarding the provisions and marketing of online betting services.At present the Betano brand operates services within the Polish online betting market, the brand is reported to have over 150 dedicated staff for its Eastern European operations.On entering the Romanian market, holding company Stoiximan declared that Betano had proven market competencies and capabilities to become the leading online betting brand for RomaniaSpeaking to Romanian business news sources Panos Konstantopoulos, Chief Marketing Officer Stoiximan & Betano.com brand commented on the launch:“We have a long-term investment plan in Romania, and our goal is to position Betano as a top and trusted brand in the local market. We don’t want to just bring our product in a version translated for the market in Romania, as most of the operators do, but we want to provide an experience tailored to the needs and preferences of Romanians, both as product and as service,” Superbet doubles down on Lucky7’s challenger investment July 27, 2020 Share Related Articles Stoiximan/Betano rebrands to Kaizen Gaming July 13, 2020 Share StumbleUpon Submit
OWINGS MILLS, Md. — With 2010 Pro Bowl kicker Billy Cundiff ailing physically, the Ravens have signed veteran Shayne Graham to the 53-man roster to provide insurance over the final two weeks of the regular season.In a corresponding move, rookie linebacker Chavis Williams has been placed on injured reserve with a foot injury. Despite appearing in the Ravens’ last two games, Cundiff has not practiced since Dec. 7 as he’s dealt with a left calf injury. His miss from 36 yards on Baltimore’s opening drive against San Diego made him only 2-for-5 on field goals in the month of December. Cundiff is just 27-for-36 on the season with all nine misses coming away from M&T Bank Stadium. Cundiff admitted to reporters following the Ravens’ 34-14 loss to the Chargers that his ailing calf has hindered his ability to perform. Graham was invited to the team’s Owings Mills facility for a tryout two weeks ago and was put on standby before the Ravens deemed Cundiff healthy enough to play against Indianapolis on Dec. 11. “It’s always a concern,” said Harbaugh earlier in the week about Cundiff’s health affecting his kicking. “I think it’s probably all wrapped up in there together. We’ve got to look at that today; we’ve got to look at that this week, because he hasn’t been able to practice the last couple weeks. That may have affected him a little bit. Nobody’s more frustrated right now than Billy with it.”Given the healthy state of their 53-man roster, the Ravens have the ability to carry both Cundiff and Graham for now in hopes that the former will be healthy enough for the postseason. However, it will be interesting to see how the Ravens handle a delicate situation should Graham perform at an exceptional level while Cundiff is on the mend.Graham was with the Ravens during training camp last year as he competed against Cundiff for the kicking job. He most recently played for the Miami Dolphins, filling in for the injured Dan Carpenter in November. He made four of five attempts in two games, with the longest field goal being from 28 yards. An 11-year veteran, Graham spent seven seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals, making him quite familiar with the AFC North. Over his career, Graham has made 212 of 247 (85.8 percent) field goal attempts.
With two AFC foes in the postseason race falling this afternoon, the Ravens officially find themselves in the playoffs before taking the field against the San Diego Chargers tonight.With the Tennessee Titans falling to previously winless Indianapolis and the Oakland Raiders losing to Detroit, the Ravens find themselves in the postseason for the fourth straight year, building upon the franchise record that was set last season.However, Baltimore has far loftier goals in its mind as the No. 1 seed is within reach if the Ravens can handle business in their final three games of the regular season. With the Houston Texans falling on Sunday, the Ravens own the conference tiebreaker against New England via their record against common opponents as well as the division tiebreaker over the Pittsburgh Steelers when sizing up the other AFC teams with three losses.Of course, failing to take care of the 6-7 Chargers changes all of that and puts the Ravens in the less enviable position of scoreboard watching and relying on help to keep their home-field hopes alive.Baltimore is 4-3 all-time against the Chargers and owns a 2-3 record at Snapdragon Stadium in San Diego. A win tonight would not only give the Ravens their first five-game winning streak of the John Harbaugh era, but it would also provide the second 11-3 start in the 16-year history of the franchise.The Ravens are wearing white jerseys and white pants while San Diego sports its “powder blue” alternate jerseys with white pants. Despite listing seven players as questionable for tonight’s game, the Ravens will have all those players available, including cornerback Lardarius Webb and linebacker Ray Lewis. While Lewis’ return from a four-game absence was expected after the 36-year-old defensive leader practiced all week on a limited basis, Webb was regarding as having a slim chance of playing. His presence on the field is great news for the Baltimore defense as it tries to slow down 6-foot-5 receivers Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd and the San Diego passing game. Webb was seen testing the left toe in pre-game warmups and apparently respond well enough to make his return to action just a week after suffering the turf toe injury against Indianapolis. Kicker Billy Cundiff and cornerback Chris Carr are also active tonight for the Ravens. Carr had missed the last three games with a bulging disc in his back. Here are tonight’s inactives …BaltimoreWR LaQuan WilliamsWR Tandon DossRB Anthony AllenLB Chavis WilliamsCB Danny GorrerDT Brandon McKinneyLB Sergio KindleSan DiegoWR Bryan WaltersCB Shareece WrightDE Jacques CesaireOL Tony MollLB Everett BrownLB Nate Triplett