Category: ctcwzolrsqsv

Alleged Gang Roundup After Grand Jury Indictment

first_imgThomas Lacolla probably never saw it coming. On November 17, 2015, the 27-year-old Riverhead native was sitting in a car on Northville Turnpike at about 9:37 PM when all hell broke loose. Moments later, he was dead. His body filled with bullets.At the time, local police thought maybe he was a target. Lacolla had done time for drug and weapons-related convictions, and had only been on the street a month since his release.But this week, the final piece of that tragic puzzle was laid in place: Lacolla was, simply, in the wrong place at the wrong time — a victim of mistaken identity.The realization came last week when a grand jury indicted six local men accused of being members of the Bloods, the notorious street gang. They ran as a set, called the Red Stone Gorillas. Among the indicted offences, which included robberies, narcotics trafficking, and firearm offenses, was murder. And Lacolla was the victim.Willie Belcher, 33, and Eric Ross, 27, of Flanders; Corey Belcher, 34, of Riverhead; and Roger Foster, 22, of Baiting Hollow; were picked up, while Jimmy Dean, 41, of Calverton; and Terrill Latney, 39; were already in custody.“Through murder, assaults, and drug sales these members and associates of the Bloods’ Red Stone Gorillas posed a grave danger to communities on eastern Long Island,” U.S. Attorney Richard Donoghue said.The gang ruled local streets through violence and intimidation, selling coke, crack, and heroin in the Riverhead area for the better part of a decade, police said.According to grand jury testimony, Latney and others fatally shot Lacolla as he sat in the intended victim’s car, according to the indictment.On August 1, 2015, Foster and others shot and wounded a suspected member of the rival Crips gang and a female bystander, according to the indictment. Following Dean’s arrest in 2016, Latney, Foster, and others assumed control of the gang’s drug distribution operations, prosecutors said.The East End Drug Task Force, Riverhead police, and the FBI made the arrests.Who Are These Guys?A car full of out-of-town partyers stole a couple cases of beer and raised some hell. But who are they?Southold police asked that question October 10 after pulling over a car with Virginia plates.The driver was unable to produce valid identification, another occupant gave a fictitious name, but finally, a third passenger was known through fingerprints — Rolman Roberto Garcia-Xicay — who provided a false name and possessed a forged Social Security card matching it, police said. Under questioning, he admitted to lying. Fingerprints showed he was also “previously detained by federal authorities under a different name,” police added.Two juveniles in the car were the ones who stole the beer from the BP gas station in Peconic, police said. They were transported to police headquarters and released to family. A fifth individual in the car was also turned loose.Garcia-Xicay was charged with second-degree possession of a forged instrument and false personation, according to a press release. Oscar Mayen-Orrego, 20, was charged with false personation, unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, and having an open alcoholic beverage in the car. Both men were held overnight and were arraigned in Southold Town Justice Court the next morning.rmurphy@indyeastend.com Sharelast_img read more

Read More

BioCarbon scoops Hello Tomorrow Challenge award

first_imgSubscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.last_img

Read More

Let’s get more women to the top

first_img Fiona Woolf is a consultant at CMS Cameron McKenna specialising in energy and infrastructure reforms and projects. She was awarded a CBE for her work on electricity reforms and has advised over 25 governments on reform, strategy and privatisation. She was president of the Law Society in 2006/07 This year, the Law Society will welcome its fourth woman president. As of 2010, 45.8% of solicitors with practising certificates were women – a figure that has nearly doubled in 10 years. In fact, many senior and influential figures in the legal profession are women and we continue to drive change, make our presence felt and adapt to the constant challenges of these demanding times. Extensive research has shown that women are as ambitious as men, make great leaders and are passionate about what they do. So why are more of us not becoming partners? Why are we consistently earning less than our male colleagues? You would expect the effect of greater numbers of women entering the profession to take a few years to make an impact at the top, but this still does not explain the huge disparity. You would expect more gender diversity, particularly in the large firms. Currently, just 21% of partners in private practice law firms in England and Wales are women. Something very odd is happening to the trajectory of women’s careers between admission to the roll and the most senior levels that either prevents, or dissuades us from going to the very top. A Law Society study in conjunction with the Association of Women Solicitors revealed that ‘organisational culture, outdated perceptions of women, resistance to contemporary management practices such as flexible working, and perceptions of client expectations meant the legal sector was still very male-dominated, causing real issues for the retention and advancement of top female talent’. The survey is pretty damning, with women solicitors who did achieve partner or senior status reporting they did so at the expense of personal and family relationships. It’s no secret – or surprise – that making partner is a tough road, regardless of your gender. But I think the profession can learn to accommodate those who have ‘extra-curricular’ commitments; otherwise firms of all sizes will lose out on some very talented people in whom they have invested both time and money. With its flexible working protocol, launched late last year, the Law Society provides a compelling business case for flexible working. This isn’t just a ‘woman’s thing’. These practices will allow many lawyers to achieve that fabled work-life balance, without compromising results for firms. While law is undeniably an extremely demanding, time-consuming career and for anyone, and getting to the top requires a great deal of sacrifice, I am confident the profession can work towards disabusing the notion that you need people at their desks 24/7 for them to do a good job. I think the profession – and the City – will evolve to accommodate a more diverse workforce. It makes eminent economic sense. In a fortnight, hundreds of successful women lawyers from around the world will meet at the International Women in Law Summit on 8 March at the Law Society, where I am among the keynote speakers. I hope this will be a great opportunity to debate in depth the key issues that are slowing down women’s progress. The theme of the event is ‘setting the agenda for change’ and I am confident, with the wealth of talent and strong voices among us, that this will be achieved at a faster pace. As the second female president of the Law Society, the progress of women in the profession is a subject very close to my heart. This International Summit promises a unique opportunity to discuss and respond to the key issues that are slowing down the current progress of women, and to work together to set a new agenda for change. A pre-summit networking dinner will take place on 7 March. Call the Law Society on 020 7222 2525 for more information. last_img read more

Read More

Little Britain diary: Dressed to impress

first_imgGet your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Subscribe now for unlimited accesslast_img read more

Read More

Houston calling for Bigge

first_imgThe new Houston office expands Bigge’s crane rental, heavy rigging and heavy transportation services into the US Southwest and Gulf Coast regions.From the new office, Bigge will market its entire fleet, with a special emphasis on the bare rental of crawler, rough terrain and tower cranes, as well as construction hoists.In addition, cranes sales and service is also available under the management of Houston office rental manager, Jeff Pobanz.last_img

Read More

Cargotec: ro-ro cargo access for Messina

first_imgThe ships will be built at the STX Jinhae shipyard in South Korea, where the MacGregor RoRo equipment will be delivered between the last quarter of 2013 and the second quarter of 2014.Each MacGregor RoRo shipset includes a quarter ramp, stern door, ramp covers and doors, division doors, and a power pack.”Ro-ro equipment is an integral part of a vessel’s cargo handling capability,” commented Magnus Sjöberg, Cargotec sales director for ro-ro ships.www.cargotec.comlast_img

Read More

Dundee development gets under way

first_imgThe Forth Ports board of directors visited the Scottish port this week, where a new quayside with heavy lift capability is under construction, which intends to position the UK gateway at the forefront of the North Sea oil and gas, decommissioning and offshore wind sectors.HLPFI reported in February that Forth Ports had unveiled plans to invest in the new heavy lift quayside.   www.forthports.co.uklast_img

Read More

Spicer out, Sanders in as White House press secretary

first_imgSpicer out, Sanders in as White House press secretary SHARE WASHINGTON (AP) White House press secretary Sean Spicer abruptly resigned his position Friday, ending a rocky six-month tenure that made his news briefings must-see TV. He said President Donald Trump’s White House “could benefit from a clean slate.”Deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee will replace him, said Anthony Scaramucci, a New York financier who has been named White House Communications Director.Spicer quit in protest over the hiring of Scaramucci, objecting to what Spicer considered his lack of qualifications and to the direction of the press operation, according to people familiar with the situation.Spicer said during a brief phone conversation with The Associated Press that he felt it would be best for Scaramucci to be able to build his own operation “and chart a new way forward.”He tweeted that it had been an “honor” and “privilege” to serve Trump and he would remain in his post through August.Spicer had long sought the strategic communications job for himself and had been managing that role along with his press secretary duties for nearly two months.His decision to quit was sudden and took advisers inside and outside the White House by surprise, according to the people with knowledge of the decision. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the personnel matter publicly.Spicer’s daily press briefings had become must-watch television until recent weeks when he took on a more behind-the-scenes role. Sanders has largely taken over the briefings, turning them into off-camera events.Spicer spent several years leading communications at the Republican National Committee before helping Trump’s campaign in the general election. He is close to White House chief of staff Reince Priebus, the former RNC chair, and several of the lower-ranking aides in the White House communications shop.Priebus told The Associated Press that he supports Scaramucci “100 percent,” despite reportedly trying to prevent the financier from getting multiple administration positions.“We go back a long, long way and are very good friends,” Priebus said of Scaramucci. “All good here.”Spicer also complimented Scaramucci, a frequent defender of the president who was a staple at Trump Tower during the president’s transition, saying “It’ll be great, he’s a tough guy.”Scaramucci is expected to play a visible role as one of Trump’s defenders on television. But Spicer and other officials questioned his hiring as communications director ahead of the president’s push to overhaul the tax system and other policy issues.Spicer and other press staffers had been feeling that they finally had the press shop operating effectively, aside from matters related to the Russia investigation, said one of the people familiar with the situation.News of Spicer’s resignation set off a chaotic scene at the White House.Inside the West Wing, a gaggle of reporters more than a dozen deep crowded around a doorway leading to the press offices seeking more information on Spicer’s departure and other potential staffing moves. White House officials announced that Sanders would hold the daily briefing – the first on camera since June 29 – on Friday afternoon.WINK News livestreamed that briefing on Facebook:Scaramucci’s hire was a surprise. He had been told by the administration that he would be nominated as U.S. ambassador to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, an intergovernmental economic organization that includes the world’s better-off countries.A senior foreign official, who demanded anonymity to discuss private personnel discussions, said Scaramucci had been meeting with various foreign diplomats as recently as last week in anticipation of his new role as ambassador to the OECD.Spicer’s tenure got off to a rocky start. On Trump’s first full day in office, he lambasted journalists over coverage of the crowd size at the inauguration and stormed out of the briefing room without answering questions.Spicer, who often displayed a fiery demeanor in tense on-camera exchanges with reporters, became part of culture in the way few people in his job have, particularly through an indelible impersonation by Melissa McCarthy on NBC’s “Saturday Night Live.”She portrayed Spicer as a hostile figure who tore through the briefing room on a portable podium, willing to attack the press.A Roman Catholic, Spicer was dealt a blow when Trump excluded him from a group of White House staffers and Trump family members who got to meet Pope Francis when Trump visited the Vatican during his first foreign trip in May.Spicer remained loyal to Trump but frequently battled perceptions that he was not plugged in to what the president was thinking, and had to worry that Trump was watching and critiquing his performance from the Oval Office.Throughout the start of the administration, there was always the possibility that Trump would undermine something Spicer said by simply sending out a tweet.Spicer is a Rhode Island native and a commander in the U.S. Navy Reserve.He apologized in April after he attempted to compare the Holocaust and Syrian President Bashar Assad’s use of chemical weapons, saying it was “inexcusable and reprehensible.”The resignation comes a day after Mark Corallo, the spokesman for the president’s outside legal team, left his post. And in a separate move, former White House aide Katie Walsh is returning to the RNC, spokesman Ryan Mahoney said. Walsh will serve as an adviser on data and digital issues, and the appointment is unrelated to the White House personnel changes, he said. Published: July 21, 2017 12:05 PM EDT Updated: July 21, 2017 3:15 PM EDT Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know.last_img read more

Read More

San Diego Sprinter opens at last

first_imgUSA: Packed trains marked the first day of revenue service on the $486m 35 km Sprinter line which connects Oceanside with Escondido in California’s San Diego County.Two earlier start dates had been missed because of problems with signals and level crossings. The California Public Utilities Commission issued a letter certifying the line for operation on March 7, and services began two days later. Breaking with a tradition set by many other US operators, North County Transit District did not offer free rides to acquaint riders with the trains. The normal weekend timetable with an hourly service in each direction was operated on the first day, and the number of passengers seeking a ride led to extended dwell times at the 15 stations, with trains running up to 10 min late. On March 10 a regular weekday timetable was in effect, with 30 min headways and modest traffic. NCTD hopes to attract 11 600 daily riders, a goal that could take a year or more. CAPTION: The Sprinter service is operated by a fleet of 12 two-car Desiro Classic DMUs supplied from Siemens’ Krefeld-Uerdingen plantlast_img read more

Read More

First electro-diesel Flirts ordered

first_imgITALY: The Valle d’Aosta region placed the first order for an electro-diesel version of Stadler Rail’s Flirt multiple-unit on May 12. Five Flirt3 units are to be delivered in 2018 for use on Aosta – Torino services.Each of the units will have three passenger cars, plus the diesel power module. Stadler said the interior options have been selected to provide ‘an optimal balance of light-filled spaciousness, a sense of roominess, a pleasant and inviting appearance, and adequate comfortable seating’. Each unit will have 178 seats, including 19 tip-up seats, and a TSI-PRM compliant accessible toilet. A fourth car could be added in the future if required to meet increased passenger demand.The units will be rated at 2 600 kW with a maximum speed of 160 km/h when operating from 3 kV DC overhead electrification, and 700 kW with a maximum speed of 140 km/h when powered by the two Stage IIIB compliant Deutz TCD 16.0 V8 diesel engines. The contract is worth €43m, including with staff training, technical documentation, spares and five years of maintenance. There are options for a further five trainsets and a three-year extension of the maintenance contract, which would take the total value to €94m.last_img read more

Read More