1 Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers insists Divock Origi will not be leaving the club on loan in January.The 20-year-old was one of a number of attacking talents signed by Liverpool to try and fill the Luis Suarez-shaped void after the forward left for Barcelona.But, since his return from his season-long loan at Lille, the forward has done little to excite the Anfield faithful and there has been speculation he could heading out of Merseyside.However, Rodgers has now revealed that he wants to keep the Belgian as part of his squad for the remainder of the season.“He had his loan period last year. This year is about him coming in and adapting,” said Rodgers, ahead of Thursday’s Europe League clash with Sion.“We’ll review where he’s at at the end of the season.”Origi is still searching for his first Liverpool goal after three appearances for the club this season.But Rodgers is confident he will come good, and is preparing to hand him a start for Thursday’s visit of Sion, with Daniel Sturridge rested.“It just takes time to adapt,” Rodgers said. “He’s a young player who has excellent qualities.“The real focus on Divock is goals in games, that is what he’ll be judged on. He obviously hasn’t played so much, but he understands where he is at – coming in to such a big club, he knows he’ll be competing for places.“For us, it’s about nurturing that talent along and for him, he’s really looking to improve that goalscoring record. That will hopefully come in time.“He’s a humble guy. He knows where he stands and that he’s here to develop. It’s a big step coming to such a prestigious club.“He knows he is going to get opportunities working hard every day in training. He has settled in very well.” Divock Origi
7. Hamilton Ricard (Colombia) scored 31 goals for Middlesbrough (1998-2002) 10 1. Sergio Aguero (Argentina) has scored 85 goals so far for Manchester City (2011-present) – click the arrow above to find out the top 10 highest-scoring South American players in the Premier League 10 4. Gustavo Poyet (Uruguay) scored 54 goals for Tottenham Hotspur (2001-04) and Chelsea (1997-2001) 9. Hugo Rodallega (Colombia) scored 29 goals for Fulham (2012-14) and Wigan Athletic (2008-12) 10 10 10 10 5. Nolberto Solano (Peru) scored 49 goals for West Ham United (2007-08), Newcastle United (2005-08 and 1998-2004) and Aston Villa (2003-06) 8. Juninho (Brazil) scored 29 goals for Middlesbrough (1995-2005) 6. Juan Pablo Angel (Colombia) scored 44 goals for Aston Villa (2000-07) 2. Carlos Tevez (Argentina) scored 84 goals for Manchester City (2009-13), Manchester United (2007-09) and West Ham United (2006-08) 3. Luis Suarez (Uruguay) scored 69 goals for Liverpool (2010-14) 10 10. Carl Cort (Guyana) scored 28 goals for Wolverhampton Wanderers (2003-04), Newcastle United (2000-04) and Wimbledon FC (1996-2000) Despite Manchester City’s 4-1 defeat to Liverpool at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday evening, there was some positive news for the home team.Sergio Aguero scored his 85th Premier League goal on the stroke of half time, which saw the Argentina international surprass a former Citizens striker to become the highest-scoring South American in the history of England’s top flight. With such a record now having been broken, it’s interesting to see the other players that feature on the top 10. Click the yellow arrow above, right, to find out… 10 10 10
The hunter is now the hunted. Authorities are searching for a paparazzo who may have caused Orlando Bloom to swerve and crash his car on a Hollywood street, injuring two passengers early Friday. The “Pirates of the Caribbean” star told police he was being chased by paparazzi as he left a nightclub around 2:15 a.m. in his 2003 Toyota Matrix. Bloom, 30, said a paparazzo in a silver or white sport utility vehicle made a sudden lane change and cut him off, said Officer Ana Aguirre. To avoid hitting the SUV, Bloom swerved but ended up crashing into two parked cars, Aguirre said. McCartney, Mills unable to agree Looks as if Heather Mills and Paul McCartney are going to the mat. A Thursday meeting between the former couple, which was supposed to settle the amount of Mills’ divorce settlement, didn’t go so well. Reportedly, McCartney offered Mills $100 million, plus an annual income for their daughter, Beatrice. The problem? Mills balked at the requirement she never discuss the couple’s four-year marriage with anyone. The issue will have to be resolved at trial at London’s High Court, which will hear the case in February.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Though Bloom was not injured in the accident, two passengers in his car were hurt. Police said a 30-year-old woman in the front seat got cuts and bruises on her face, while a 35-year-old woman in the back seat fractured her neck. Both were treated at a local hospital. They were not identified. In an e-mail to The Associated Press, however, Bloom’s publicist Robin Baum said the woman in the back seat “sustained a minor neck injury.” Bloom spent the night at Cedars Sinai to be with his childhood friend who hurt her neck, Baum said. “Orlando Bloom, who was in a minor car collision late last night, is grateful that no one was seriously injured,” Baum wrote. “Bloom called for help immediately following the accident.” Authorities confirmed Bloom filed a police report and spoke with investigators at the scene. “No alcohol was involved, and he wasn’t speeding,” Aguirre said. There was minor damage to his car and the parked car, she said. Police want to get the other driver’s side of the story, she said.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.In this race, we would hope that no matter who wins, all the candidates will remain active in the district. Our view is that Howorth merits re-election. She says the district must continue to demonstrate fiscal stability to voters before any future school bond measure could be placed on the ballot. Howorth also holds open the possibility of a parcel tax, which other top-performing districts in California depend upon. For the second seat, we feel that Fournell would be a good fit given his service on the 7-11 panel and the need for the district to better use its properties to increase operating revenues. Fournell’s top priorities include working to retain quality teachers. He vows to reduce the 16 percent teacher turnover rate that occurred during the last school year. Fournell would also work to reduce the long-term debt load from the previous school construction program. On Election Day, we recommend a vote for Amy Howorth and Bill Fournell. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! In Manhattan Beach, only three candidates are running for two seats on the school board. One might reasonably conclude from the small field that the current board and administration have moved beyond the divisions of four years ago when the charges of fiscal mismanagement led voters to seek new leadership. As one of the candidates in the Nov. 6 election, incumbent Amy Howorth, sees it, the district is no longer depleting its reserves, the budget is balanced, underused properties have been identified and relations with the city and Education Foundation have been strengthened. Test scores in the district remain among the highest in the state. Another candidate for school board, Bill Fournell, is an information technology consultant and school volunteer who served on the 7-11 committee, which surveyed district assets. Rounding out the field is Lester Silverman, a doctor and businessman who serves on the city’s Parking and Public Improvements Commission. Silverman is also Grand View Elementary School’s liaison with the school board.
SACRAMENTO – Several school districts and a statewide association representing them sued the state Wednesday for nearly $1billion the districts say they are owed for programs the state forces them to offer but hasn’t paid for. The lawsuit, filed in San Diego County Superior Court, challenges the state’s authority to defer payments for the 38 mandatory programs, which the districts say the state has done by failing to include full funding for them in the past five state budgets. The California School Boards Association argues in its lawsuit that the state is constitutionally obligated to pay the full cost of programs it forces local governments, including school districts, to run. This year, as in previous years, the governor budgeted just $38,000, or $1,000 per program for those school mandates. The lack of funding “forces school districts to divert their limited discretionary revenues from the core educational program and use those revenues to accommodate an increasing number of state mandates,” the lawsuit said. The LAO has referred to the underfunding of state education mandates as “credit card debt” and has urged the state to repay it, according to the lawsuit. Because voters limited the ability of local governments to collect new tax revenues when they approved property-tax-slashing Proposition 13 in 1978, they also later made it a constitutional requirement that the state reimburse local governments whenever it mandates a new program or a higher level of service. The state repaid about $900million in accumulated debt and costs for school mandates in the 2006-07 budget, but it failed to pay off the entire debt and didn’t fully pay for this year’s programs, CSBA said. “The state expects schools to foot the bill for millions of dollars in mandated costs that they do not fund and rarely pay back,” CSBA President Kathy Kinley said in a statement. The San Diego County Office of Education, Riverside Unified School District, San Jose Unified School District and Clovis Unified School District also were named as plaintiffs in the lawsuit. The case is California School Boards Association Educational Legal Alliance et al v. State of California.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsAmong the mandates are pupil health screenings, which CSBA estimates cost districts nearly $4million a year; meeting the state’s graduation requirements, at a cost of nearly $66million a year; and reporting attendance figures, which cost districts about $3.8million a year. Richard Hamilton, director of CSBA’s Educational Legal Alliance, which filed the suit, said the state owes school districts $415million for programs it underfunded and $475million for programs it never funded, as well as an additional $160million to run the programs this year. Administration spokesman Bill Maile said the state Department of Finance had not yet seen the lawsuit, and could not immediately comment. Still, he said, the state is meeting its obligation to schools. “K-12 has, and will continue to receive, the lion’s share of budget dollars, even with the fiscal challenges we face,” Maile said. Last week, the nonpartisan Legislative Analyst’s Office forecast a $10billion state budget shortfall over the next two years, which could force deep cuts in spending.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsOthers expected to participate include cast members from “Dancing With the Stars,” “Wicked” and “High School Musical,” among others. There is no charge to attend the parade, although grandstand seats cost $35. A number of streets in the area will be closed beginning Saturday to prepare for the parade and during the event. Los Angeles police officials said they will strictly enforce parking restrictions. On Saturday, streets on which parking is prohibited include Hollywood Boulevard from Orange Avenue to Highland Avenue and on Orange from Hollywood Boulevard to the alley north of Hawthorn Avenue. On Sunday, there will be no parking on Franklin Avenue between La Brea Avenue and Vine Street, Yucca Street between Gower Street and Highland Avenue, Hollywood Boulevard between Formosa Avenue and Western Avenue, and Hawthorne Avenue between Highland Avenue and La Brea Avenue. Also, there will be no parking on Selma Avenue between Gower Street and Highland, Lanewood Avenue between Orange Drive and La Brea Avenue, Sunset Boulevard between Western Avenue and Formosa Avenue, De Longpre Avenue between Gower Street and La Brea Avenue, Fountain Avenue between Highland Avenue and La Brea Avenue, Fountain Avenue between Bronson Avenue and Cahuenga Avenue, Lexington Avenue between Highland Avenue and La Brea Avenue, Santa Monica Boulevard between Hobart Boulevard and La Brea Avenue, and Melrose Avenue between Western Avenue and Highland Avenue. Other streets in the area will also be affected and drivers are urged to look for street signs limiting parking.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Continuing a holiday tradition, more than 250,000 people are expected to turn out Sunday for the new Hollywood Santa Parade. With the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce abandoning its sponsorship of the annual parade, the city stepped in to back a scaled-down version of the parade along Hollywood Boulevard. “Around the world, Hollywood is synonymous with celebrity and we are honored to have so many celebrities as part of this parade,” Council President Eric Garcetti said. Bob Barker, the longtime host of “The Price is Right,” is serving as grand marshal, and he said that in addition to traditional holiday greetings he will be urging residents to spay or neuter their pets.
A DONEGAL civil servant has been suspended after claims that he gave information to a private detective who then sold it to insurance companies across Ireland.The Government employee, who is believed to be based at the Department of Social Protection in Letterkenny, was caught when Gardai raided the home of the private detective.Donegaldaily.com has learned detectives found the confidential details of six people at the PI’s office during the raid. The details were then cross-referenced with Government employees who had accessed all six people’s records and a match was found.A full investigation into the details of the information passed on is currently being processed by DATA protection chiefs.The Data Protection Commissioner (DPC) is investigating suspicions the private investigator was using the information to send reports to a number of leading insurance companies.This is totally ILLEGAL. We understand that at least THREE insurance companies have been raided by officers from the DPC and a number of files have been removed.The DPC’s investigation came as a direct result of an internal probe in the Department of Social Protection.Managers at the Letterkenny Department discovered that a civil servant was accessing records of people he had no apparent business with.The department checked these to his phone logs, which showed he had contacted a number linked to the private investigator.Last night a source at the Department of Social Protection in Letterkenny said everyone was shocked by what has happened. “It’s the kind of thing you just don’t do. Information in Government departments is very sensitive and 99.9% of people understand that.“The rumour mill has been in overdrive about this guy for a couple of weeks now. As far as we now his desk has been cleared and he is suspended for the foreseeable future.“We’re not even sure if he’s going to come back after all that has happened,” said the source.A spokesperson for the Department of Social Protection in Letterkenny would not comment on the matter saying it would not now be appropriate to do so. EndsDONEGAL CIVIL SERVANT SUSPENDED DURING ‘SECRETS FOR SALE’ SPY PROBE was last modified: January 25th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Sam Allardyce’s side evaded the drop to the Championship, at the expense of Newcastle Sunderland are revelling in the relegation of fierce rivals Newcastle United.An inspired end to the season saw the Black Cats evade the drop, sending the Magpies down to the Championship.And one Sunderland fan is still overjoyed at his side sealing Premier League safety, deciding to really rub it in by getting in touch with Newcastle’s club megastore.Watch the hilarious clip below… 1
Yet Gold, who is a member of the Proposition O Citizens Oversight Advisory Committee, said he’s “strongly encouraged” about the work they do. “This is proven technology that will absolutely keep a lot of trash out of our waterways,” he said. But that doesn’t mean they can do the whole job, Sedrak said. The other task is getting people to realize the litter scattered along streets and in gutters shouldn’t be there in the first place. “The city is doing its part,” he said, “but the public will also need to do its part.” email@example.comWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The measure of their success comes in the form of 1,537 tons of trash. At least that’s what could have ended up in local storm drains before thousands of new catch basin screen covers and steel inserts stopped the garbage at the gates. Litterbugs are still the root of the problem, but engineers and environmentalists see the filtering devices as one step toward cleaner waterways. A handful of Los Angeles officials and environmental leaders gathered downtown Thursday to announce the completion of the first two phases of an early initiative funded by Proposition O. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champCity voters in November 2004 passed the $500 million bond measure to support projects aimed at reducing trash, animal waste and other pollutants in the Los Angeles River and Santa Monica Bay. The money so far has brought 14,200 screen covers and 7,620 inserts to catch basins citywide, said Morad Sedrak, a senior civil engineer for the Bureau of Sanitation’s Watershed Protection Division. Since the installation began in 2005, Sedrak estimates the screens and inserts – some basins in “high trash” areas are equipped with both to cut down on maintenance – have diverted 1,537tons of garbage from the storm drain system. The goal is to retrofit more than 30,000 extra basins within the next three years, he added. Because the devices were installed fairly recently, the environmental group Heal the Bay has yet to measure their impact at its regular cleanup events, said Executive Director Mark Gold.