The legal sector is the latest to catch the choral bug (cue jokes about solicitors singing for their supper). Global firm Norton Rose last month sang its way to the Office Choir of the Year 2012 award after a virtuoso performance in London. Singing pieces from Handel and Beethoven – as well as the slightly more modern Somewhere Over the Rainbow – Norton Rose held off competition from fellow law firm Olswang as well as UBS and Channel 4. The 50-odd members fit practice in around a busy work schedule, with rehearsals held before office hours on Thursday morning. The choir’s next public outing is the City of London Festival in the Guildhall Yard on 3 July.
Get your free guest access SIGN UP TODAY Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community Subscribe now for unlimited access To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN
Qualified one-way costs-shifting (QOCS) will apply to all personal injury claimants no matter what their financial means, the Ministry of Justice has confirmed. In a written ministerial statement today, justice minister Jonathan Djanogly (pictured) said there would be no financial test to determine eligibility. The new costs regime is being introduced as part of the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act, due to come into force from next April. QOCS will mean that claimants conducting their case properly do not have to pay towards defendants’ costs if the claim fails. Protection would be lost only if the claim is found to be fraudulent, if the claimant has failed to beat a defendant’s ‘part 36’ offer to settle, or where the case has been struck out where it is an abuse of the court’s process. Djanogly also confirmed that the MoJ is considering whether QOCS protection should apply to elements of a claim for personal injury pursued for the benefit of a third party. Under part 36 of the Civil Procedure Rules, there is to be an additional sanction paid where the judgment for the claimant is more advantageous than a defendant’s part 36 offer. This will be calculated at 10% of damages where damages are in issue, and 10% of costs for non-damages claims. Sanctions will be gradually reduced for claims over £500,000 and there will be only one sanction applicable for split trials. The rules were drafted following advice from the Civil Justice Council and will be considered by the CPR Committee in the autumn, to come into effect next April.
Senegalese President Macky Sall is quarantining for two weeks after coming into contact with someone who has since tested positive for the coronavirus, state television said on Thursday.The measure is precautionary as an initial COVID-19 test of Sall has come back negative, it said.Communiqué de presse: Le Président @Macky_Sall s’est mis en quarantaine pour une durée de deux semaines. pic.twitter.com/k1lla7Umzv— Présidence Sénégal (@PR_Senegal) June 25, 2020Senegal has so far reported 6,129 confirmed coronavirus cases and 93 deaths.Related Senegal confirms first case of COVID-19 President Kenyatta confident Kenya will defeat COVID-19 Senegal’s total confirmed COVID-19 cases surpasses 200
Share Dr Ralph Gonsalves, Prime Minister of St Vincent and the GrenadinesShareholder governments of the regional airline Liat say the T&T Government’s subsidy to State-owned Caribbean Airlines (CAL) is a violation of the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas that governs Caricom. Dr Ralph Gonsalves, Prime Minister of St Vincent and the Grenadines, speaking at the end of a shareholders’ meeting of Liat in Barbados, said the subsidy to CAL also violated the Common Air Services Agreement among Caricom member countries and had resulted in substantial losses to Liat. Gonsalves plans to raise these issues with Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar when he comes to Port-of-Spain later this month for a meeting between regional leaders and US Vice President Joe Biden.He said: “You take the period 2008 to 2012, because we have the data. Liat expended on fuel US$106.1 million in that five-year period but if we were to get the price that CAL paid, we would have spent US $43.64 million. “In other words, we have spent US$62.4 million on the fuel bill over this period more than we would have spent if we got the subsidy similar to CAL.” Gonsalves said Liat paid an average US$127 for a barrel of jet fuel over the five-year period, while CAL paid an average price of US$53. “That is on the fuel-subsidy side. It is estimated by the management that during that five-year period we lost 78, 000 passengers to CAL because of their subsidy, and the revenues which we would have lost as a result of that unfair competition would have been US$10.2 million,” he said.But Gonsalves, who chairs Liat’s shareholder governments, said they had no intention of picking a fight with the Government of T&T. “This is a serious matter, so we have the facts on our side and we have the law on our side but we don’t want to fight T&T. We won’t want to get into any confrontation with them, but we have to have a sensible discussion on this matter,” he said. The Liat shareholder governments are Antigua-Barbuda, Dominica, St Vincent and the Grenadines and Barbados. The shareholders’ meeting also examined proposals to strengthen co-operation between Liat and CAL, with airline officials indicating they are not contemplating a merger but seeking practical areas of co-operation.LIAT chairman Dr Jean Holder said there have been several unsuccessful attempts in the past to create a nexus between the carriers, but it was time they returned to the drawingboard, given the competitive nature of the airline business. “You don’t wait until you have a situation—Air Jamaica as it is about to fall out of the sky, as it were, through bankruptcy. That is not a strategic merger. You are merging just to save the Jamaican brand—and even now we are concerned about whether that is working or not. “While LIAT and CAL are still flying we need to sit down and say what is the best route to go for us to create air services for the region. That should be the goal: how do you create excellent air services so that our tourism industry flourishes? And I think it can be done. But we must drop some of the idea that somebody needs to be in charge of somebody else,” Holder said.LIAT has also announced that it is holding discussions with the Barbados-based Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) to secure a long-term commercial loan to fund its re-fleeting exercise. CEO Captain Ian Brunton said the re-fleeting exercise was estimated at US$100 million and LIAT was seeking to borrow between US$60 and US$70 million from the regional bank. “We are going through a process of engaging the CDB to explore a long-term commercial loan. The CDB, of course, has been long-term traditional partners with LIAT and with this entire region, so they are our preferred lender, obviously, if it is possible. “We are in the discussion stages and in the due-diligence stages and so nothing is concrete yet, but it will be the preferred option for us, and I am sure that the CDB wants to assist LIAT too,” Brunton said.Trinidad Guardian NewsRegional CARICOM Heads vex over Caribbean Airlines by: – May 14, 2013 Sharing is caring! Share 9 Views no discussions Share Tweet
MILWAUKEE, Wis.– The Cleveland Cavaliers (23-8) are looking for their sixth straight win as they take on the Milwaukee Bucks (15-13) on Tuesday night.When: 8 p.m.TV: Fox Sports Ohio, NBA TVOnline: FoxSports GoRadio: WTAM 1100 AM, WMMS 100.7 FM, La Mega 87.7 FMCavs injuries: Isaiah Thomas (right hip– OUT), Derrick Rose (left ankle sprain– OUT), Iman Shumpert (left knee effusion– OUT)Bucks injuries: Matthew Dellavedova (left knee tendinitis– OUT), Jabari Parker (left knee– OUT), Tony Snell (left knee– OUT), Mirza Teletovic (left knee– OUT), Jason Terry (left calf– OUT) Pages: 1 2 3 4 Related TopicsCavaliersCavsClevelandCleveland CavaliersEric BledsoeKevin LoveLebron JamesNBA Ashley Bastock Ashley is a former basketball player who covers the Cleveland Cavaliers, Indians and high school sports for NEO Sports Insiders. She also covers the Cavs for SB Nation’s Fear The Sword. Ashley is a 2015 graduate of John Carroll University and previously worked in political journalism. You can follow her on Twitter @AshleyBastock42
FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Three Nikiski residents have been taken to Wildwood after Alaska State Troopers initiated a “drug investigation” on a home in the northern peninsula community. On Wednesday, February 8, the Alaska State Troopers Statewide Drug Enforcement Unit served a search warrant on the Nikiski home, resulting in the arrest of 27-year-old Christopher Mapes for multiple charges:Three counts of Misconduct Involving a Controlled Substance (MICS) 2nd degree,Two counts of MICS 3rd degree,Four counts of MICS 4th degree,One count of MICS 5th degree,Five counts of Misconduct Involving Weapons (MIW) 2nd degree,Two counts of MIW 3rd degree andTwo counts of Tampering With Physical Evidence. Another male, identified as 30-year-old Garrett Racette, was also arrested for:Three counts of MICS 3rd degree,Two counts of MICS 2nd degree,Four counts of MICS 4th degree,One count of MICS 5th degree,One count of MIW 3rd degree,One count of Tampering With Physical Evidence, andA $20,000 felony arrest warrant. A female, identified as 18-year-old Olivia Mapes, was arrested for two outstanding misdemeanor warrants. All three were transported to Wildwood Pretrial Facility and remanded. The investigation is continuing.
Auburn wide receiver Ricardo Louis (5) scores a touchdown as Louisville safety Josh Harvey-Clemons (25) pushes him during the NCAA football game between Auburn and Louisville on Saturday, Sept. 5, 2015, in at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Ga. Auburn defeated Louisville 31-24.AUBURN — Saturday was an opportunity for Auburn senior receiver Ricardo Louis to showcase the many facets of his game.The senior wide receiver caught a touchdown pass, ran for a touchdown and even got some downfield blocking opportunities in the second half of Auburn’s 31-24 victory over Louisville.Louis walked out of the Georgia Dome with 97 all-purpose yards, two touchdowns and got his hands on the football a total of seven times.“I would say it was one of best games but we have a full season, and there are a lot more games ahead of me,” Louis said. “I look forward to those games.”On the 33-yard touchdown pass from Jeremy Johnson to Louis, the senior receiver completely turned around Louisville cornerback Trumaine Washington and was wide open once the Auburn quarterback rolled to his right to get away from initial pressure.Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn high fives Auburn wide receiver Melvin Ray (82) and Auburn wide receiver Ricardo Louis (5) after Louis scored a touchdown during the NCAA football game between Auburn and Louisville on Saturday, Sept. 5, 2015, in at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Ga.The 6-foot-2 receiver seemed to be the primary option on Auburn’s jet sweep and Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn has said the coaching staff plans to move around the wide receivers and that was seen in an obvious fashion with D’haquille Williams playing more in the slot against the Louisville secondary.“The great thing about the seniors that we have, we can move those three around and they’re able to execute our offense,” Malzahn said.Louis finished last year with just 21 catches but was tied for the team lead with Duke Williams with three receptions Saturday in a game where six different receivers caught a pass.“We threw some timing throws on the perimeter to Ricardo, Melvin (Ray), one to Duke (Williams) and I thought they did a really good job,” Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said. “I feel good about their continuity.”
Payback. Rivalry. Redemption.None of the above apply as Vanderbilt (1-3) and Middle Tennessee State (2-2) prepare to face off for the first time in 10 years on Saturday (6 p.m./CBS Sports Network) — that is, if you ask the coaches and players of both teams.Vanderbilt coach Derek Mason said he’s not placing special significance on Saturday’s game at MTSU.“It is just a game. It’s the game we have to play,” Vanderbilt coach Derek Mason said. “… I don’t get caught up in all the (talk) about the game. I think it’s important for the fans, important to the cities. Obviously, we’re neighbors. But for our players, it’s our next football game in a journey.”The Blue Raiders have won all three meetings in the modern era as FBS members in 2001, 2002 and 2005. But no coaches or players are still around from those past meetings, leaving both teams downplaying what otherwise would seem like a marquee matchup between neighboring schools.Vanderbilt defense brings out worst in foes“I am supposed to say it’s a huge deal, but as a coach you don’t look at it that way,” MTSU coach Rick Stockstill said. “…Yes, we are excited that Vanderbilt is coming here because they are next door. (But) our team doesn’t get caught up in all that stuff.”MTSU’s 3-0 record in the recent chapter of the series was a badge of pride a decade ago, and this will be the Commodores’ first trip to Murfreesboro since 1920. A record-breaking crowd, and possibly a sellout, could come to Floyd Stadium for the matchup, which starts a four-game series.When asked if Vanderbilt players understand the significance of the game to MTSU, Commodores linebacker Darreon Herring said “I’m not really sure. I’m only aware that they only played Vanderbilt like three times in the past, and I wasn’t here for any of those games. I’m not really sure what makes it a big game for them.”Vanderbilt tight end Steven Scheu shrugged off any notion of “payback” a decade after the previous meeting with MTSU. But he said he recognizes the regional interest in the matchup, as the schools are separated by about 35 miles.Vanderbilt vs. Ole Miss: 5 observations“Obviously, we want to win every single game, and the closer the opponent we’d like to think this is our state,” Scheu said. “So we would like to show everybody that we really do own Tennessee. I don’t think it changes much for us. We are just going to approach it like we do every other game and take care of business.”MTSU, a Conference USA school, opened as a 4.5-point favorite, and that line has shrunk to one point. But Mason said he sees no reason to focus on his team’s perceived underdog role in the short road trip.“When you get caught up in all the other stuff, then you care about that,” Mason said. “We don’t care about what the line is. We care about the opportunity.“… It’s going to be won between the white lines. Let’s let this thing get kicked off, and when it’s done you’ll be able to figure out what the spread or the line or whatever it all means. I just know this team is ready to play.”Reach Adam Sparks at 615-259-8010 and on Twitter @AdamSparks.NEXT GAME VANDERBILT (1-3) at MTSU (2-2) When: 6 p.m. Saturday TV/radio: CBS Sports Network/1510-AM, 95.9 FM
By Charlotte UnderwoodCARYVILLE, TN (WLAF) – This year’s Louie Bluie Festival is going virtual and will feature about five hours of music and story segments, according to Campbell Culture Coalition Executive Director Manuel Mesa. The final date of the virtual festival has not been nailed down yet, but organizers say it will be on a Saturday in early or mid October. Final details are being decided this week and will be announced soon.Over the last six weeks, plans have been in motion by the Louie Bluie Festival Leadership Committee to set up a virtual festival. Multiple Zoom meetings and brain storming sessions have culminated in what organizers hope will be a unique Saturday program which will tell the story of Howard “Louie Bluie” Armstrong and showcase his music, as well as other musical talent. Each segment will be set up like a mini concert, according to Mesa. Most of the festival will be recorded live in an undisclosed location, with other segments being pre-recorded. “The festival this year is really going to take us back to Howard, who he was, where he was raised, his legacy and his life,” Mesa said.One of the main headliners this year is Howard Armstrong’s son Ralphie Armstrong and his band, who will record a special segment in his New York studio. Some of Howard’s old band members will also be playing and telling stories. “There will be some great stories that come out of this as they talk about Howard’s legacy,” Mesa said. The virtual festival will also showcase the history of Howard Armstrong, as well as music and interviews with local musicians and community members. “We will be interviewing local people who have been involved in the festival over the years and talking with them about what the festival means to them,” Mesa said.Some of the festival programming will also include educational segments from programs on Howard that have been presented in the schools over the last 12 years. According to Mesa, he always tries to impart a special message to the students about Howard Armstrong. “I want them to understand he came from here, he was poor, he was black, he had little education, yet he rose up to be an international recording artist and do the great things he has done,” Mesa said.The Tennessee Arts Commission, which provides a large funding grant for Louie Bluie, “is very excited about the virtual festival,” according to Mesa, as is the University of Tennessee, which will be putting the recordings of the festival into its archival library.According to Mesa, the unique circumstances of the festival going virtual this year have posed its challenges, but in the end, he said he feels the leadership committee has “grown from the experience.” He also said these radical changes have made it even more of a “community event” and “brought the focus of the festival back on Howard’s life and re-injected his spirit back into it.”Look for more virtual Louie Bluie Festival updates on WLAF. (WLAF NEWS PUBLISHED – 08/26/2020-6AM)Share this:FacebookTwitter